1. What is EMV?
EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard® and VISA®. EMV Chip Technology is becoming the global standard for credit card and debit card payments. This smart chip technology features credit and debit cards with embedded microprocessor chips that store and protect cardholder data. This standard has many names worldwide and may also be referred to as: “chip” and “signature.”
2. Are EMV chip cards more secure than regular magnetic strip cards?
Yes. All Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union VISA® Credit and Debit Cards come with built-in EMV Chip Technology to provide you with greater fraud protection when using your card at a chip-activated terminal. Your EMV Chip Card is not only secure—it’s also easy to use. When you use your card at a chip-activated card reader, the embedded EMV Chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
3. How do I use my Jeanne D’Arc EMV chip card?
If a chip-activated terminal is not available, simply swipe your card as usual at a standard card-reading terminal. However, if a chip-activated terminal is available:
- Insert the chip end of your card into the front of the terminal with the chip facing up.
- Keep your card in the terminal and follow the prompts.
- Remove your card when instructed to do so and take your receipt.
4. Do all merchants accept EMV credit and debit cards?
Yes. If a merchant does not have a chip-activated terminal, you can swipe your card as you would at a standard card-reading terminal. More merchants are obtaining chip-activated terminals every day. Your EMV Chip Card is also accepted for online purchases and purchases made over the phone.